Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Gayle Forman, the writer of 'If I Stay', 'Where She Went', 'Just One Day' and 'Just One Year'. 


After two of my friends suggest that I should read this book by Gayle Forman, I decided to pick up the book since the movie is coming out later in Malaysia so I don't want to be left behind.

Well, I realized two things. I shouldn't listen to both of my friends because they don't read what I like to read. Both of them get John Green's style, but not me. They love this kind of book which is less dramatic and more real, but for me, I prefer books with actions, dramas, intensities and all that. Yeah.. I got my lesson by now. I should ask what the book is about before I decide to read them.

However, I did not regret my read this time and the following is my review of 'If I Stay'. I will not provide you the summary, it is everywhere on the internet and I am not good at all to narrate a summary of a book. This book made it even harder.

Ok. Enough with all the stories. There you go, my opinion.

I don't have the physical book, actually. I borrowed the book from my friend, but mostly, I read it in my tablet and phone. I admit the beauty of the book. I do. 



Plot and Writing: 

Well, I think I just don't get the author's style. It has less impact on me. Just like John Greens'. It feels normal throughout the book, I didn't cry that much, although I cried at one part. The whole book is easy to understand. Gayle Forman keep on pushing between the past and the present, but she made it clear to us of what is happening.

Usually, I marked all the best quotes, but somehow, in this book, there are only two quotes that I truly love. But, the ending is strong. I like the ending. It's worth the reading.

Characters:

Mia is great. I love how strong her character is. Mia is so normal, have normal family, normal passion, normal boyfriend, but of course, with an abnormal story. I like it that she is lovable by everyone else and fight for whatever she want. All her monologues is something that all of us can reflect on. She sounds like most of the people that I know which is cool. At least, we know that those kind of people really exist.

I know everyone loves Adam. He is a good fictional character, romantic, and all that, but I think, it is a bit off. I am not sure what Adam is lack of but to me, sure there is something since I'm not falling for him while everyone else is.

The characters, however, are a bit plain to me including Mia herself, maybe because I am just a bit dramatic so I need more dramatic characters in a book. I know I will not think or remember these characters as much as I did of the other fictional characters. Blame me for that, not the book, totally not the book's fault.

Isn't she pretty? I am absolutely going to the movie. 


Did the book made me go on because I was so desperate to know the ending? 

No. I am not desperate at all and I took a very long time to finish such a small book.


Did I think about the book all the time I closed it? 

Not at all. Maybe because the story itself is something that I don't believe in so I didn't think much about it.


Did I found the story is relatable?

No. This is maybe because of the music thingy that the characters like, I am not much of a music person so I have the slightest idea of what they are talking about. I cannot relate at all.


Did I cried and gasped throughout the book?

Yes. There was once where I was so touched by a scene in the book, it made my eyes blurry with tears that  have to take off my spectacles and wipe my tears before I continue. And when I heard Christine from Poland Banana Books talked about the movie, tears started to fall off all over again.


Is it my favorite? 

No, it is not. But yes, I will absolutely read the next book because I still want to know what happened to Mia after she woke up.


Will I go to the movie?

Sure. I will ask my reading buddy to go to the premiere later on with me. Usually, I will start to love the book after I watch the movie. I know it unusual but yeah, people are different.


Did I recommend this book to anyone in particular?
No. After the movie, maybe yes.


If you found 'The Fault in Our Stars' is cool, maybe you would like 'If I Stay' as well. Most people that I know that so much in love with TFIOS love 'If I Stay'. Maybe you too.

Happy reading, everyone!

:)


Posted in . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

One Response to Review: If I Stay by Gayle Forman

muhd farhan said...

mj ..happy birthday..smoga dipanjangkan umur,dimurahkan rezeki dan dipermudahkan segalanya..insyaallah amin..your birthday 22 september kan??..haha

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.