Favorite Authors of Mine

I wish I have a big bookshelf like this! T.T


Recently, I have been doing a lot of reading. Novels reading, of course. I read a lot of fiction this month. And yes, still adding some more into my list. I had read four books this month and now, I am on my fifth book. *yeay me* This is such a new accomplishment since usually, I only read 1 or 2 books for a month. I am not a fast reader so yeah, that's why I only read very few in a month.

However, I'm in a process of increasing my reading speed. It went very well so far. And I am so happy about it that I'm thinking of writing about two of my favorite authors.

This month, I have finished the latest Rainbow Rowell's book, Landline. I have seen the book in a bookstore, but I decided not to buy it because it will cost me a lot of money and I know, I could not afford a new book this month. But yes, the book is so pretty that I hope someone will buy me the real copy of Landline. Have you seen the cover, it is so pretty, right?



Isn't this book pretty enough to own? 


After I have done with the book, I watch Christine from PolandBananasBooks talked about the book. She was so excited (she is always excited, by the way). In her video, she mentioned about Rowell as one of her favorite authors. Cristine had read all of Rowell's books and she is so in love with Rowell. She even has a special ranking system to give a rank for the Rowell's four books.

It is kind of fun looking at her, describing each of Rowell's books. I mean, I read two of four Rowell's books, but still, I don't really get her writing, which made her as a good author for me but absolutely not one of my favorites.



Oh yeah. That's Christine. Just go to YouTube and search PolandBananaBooks, you will get to see her reviews and talks about books. 


For me, I need to read more than one book from the same author before I categorized him/her as my favorite. This is excluding the series. For example, if I read the Divergent series by Veronica Roth, I need to read others series of hers before I put her in my 'favorite authors' list.

I know some people think this categorization is a bit difficult and annoying, but yeah, in reading, I have my own rules. Just like the other things I am doing in my life.

I haven't read a lot of books from the same author usually. I always have different books from different authors because most of the authors publish their book for a wide range of time and most of the books take 2 to 3 years before they get popular among the readers. Most of the good authors prefer to write a series, which make it harder for me to categorize them as my favorite.

I read three books by Veronica Roth but since the books are all in a series, I couldn't categorize Roth as my favorite. I need something more so that I can evaluate the authors better. I can never evaluate an author just because of a series because his/her excellence might depend on the series plot, not the writing itself. I will be disappointing if I come across a novel written by 'one of my favorite authors' and it doesn't turn out as good as the series he/she has written previously. That's why I have rules for this.



Rainbow Rowell, author of Attachment, Eleanor and Park, Fangirl and Landline. 


So far, I have read only a few books from the same authors. There is a list below:

J.K. Rowling :
  • Harry Potter Series
  • The Casual Vacancy
Sarah Dessen :
  • Just Listen
  • Along for The Ride
  • Lock and Key
Rainbow Rowell :
  • Fangirl 
  • Landline

Rainbow Rowell might not be one of my favorites, but JK Rowling and Sarah Dessen are surely my favorites. After reading their books, I found both of the authors are different from each other which means, I have no idea what kind of author I truly like.



J.K. Rowling, famous with her Harry Potter Series. 


As for Rowling, I love her because she is capable of writing different genres. Harry Potter and Casual Vacancy are not equal at all. They are so different from each other, but still, the beauty is there. You can say how brilliant Rowling is in both books and yes, that's what made her as my favorite.



Sarah Dessen, a low profile author, but absolutely a lovely one. 


However, for Sarah Dessen, I love her books because I find them very relatable. Some of the readers that I know think that Sarah Dessen is quite boring because of the same pattern she used in all of her books. Dessen always use a girl and a boy and a big dilemma they are having as the center of her stories. I have read three books of her, and yes, they are all the same except that the couple has different attitudes and problems from the other couple from the other book. But, the way Dessen has created the characters made me fall in love with every and each of them, no matter how cliche their stories is going to be.

Maybe because I found the characters are all very real that I fall in love with Dessen. Her books are telling me that, 'all of us might have different lives, but we still a bit broken inside.'

As you can see, I love Dessen and Rowling for different reasons. And somehow, I can't even relate them to each other except that I love them a lot.

I am planning to read The Cuckoo's Calling and The Silkworm that Rowling wrote as Robert Galbraith in the future and finish the list of Sarah Dessen's as well.

 Let's pray I have time for that. I already have hundreds of books from different authors to finish before I get back to my favorite authors.

Have a good day, readers!! :)





Posted in . Bookmark the permalink. RSS feed for this post.

Search

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark. Converted by LiteThemes.com.